Earn 0.1 CEUs
This course reviews the principles of defensive driving in order to make you a safer, more aware commercial driver. In this course, you will do the following:
- Study the definition and habits of defensive driving
- Explore how traffic laws keep us safe
- Practice identifying road hazards and appropriate defensive actions
- Participate in simulations involving passing and turning
- Practice scanning for potential risks
This course was designed in conjunction with our friends at the Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety.
- Interactive content
- Quizzes and assessments
- Simulated environments
Why It's Important
Data shows that motor vehicle collisions claim thousands of lives every year in America. In 2014, over 32,000 people were killed. In the record-high years of 1972 and 73, the number of deaths was over fifty-four thousand. The National Safety Council states that 54 percent of all crashes are due to driver error. The single most common cause of a collision is improper driving. A defensive driver avoids these kinds of errors and is prepared to handle the errors of others.
In short, defensive driving is important because it keeps you alive.