Earn 0.1 CEUs
This course reviews the principles of defensive driving in order to make you a safer, more aware commercial driver. In this course, you will do the following:
- Study the definition and habits of defensive driving
- Explore how traffic laws keep us safe
- Practice identifying road hazards and appropriate defensive actions
- Participate in simulations involving passing and turning
- Practice scanning for potential risks
This course was designed in conjunction with our friends at the Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety.
- Interactive content
- Quizzes and assessments
- Simulated environments
Why It's Important
Data shows that motor vehicle collisions claim thousands of lives every year in America. In 2020, this number is 38,680 people according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In the record-high years of 1972 and 73, the number of deaths was over fifty-four thousand. The National Safety Council states that 54 percent of all crashes are due to driver error. The single most common cause of a collision is improper driving. A defensive driver avoids these kinds of errors and is prepared to handle the errors of others.
In short, defensive driving is important because it keeps you alive.